The Grand Conseil du Vin de BordeauxSeptember 2, 2019
Meeting of Canadian Maîtres, in Montreal on August 28th 2019
Invited by Fouad Geara, Maître of the Commanderie de Bordeaux in Montreal, Maîtres of the Bordeaux Commanderies in Canada gathered for a day’s meeting on August 28th 2019.
As the photo shows, those present were the following (from left to right):
Greg Stebbe Maître of the Commanderie in Calgary
Louis Tassé, Vice-Maître of the ommanderie in Montreal,
David Reid, Maître of the Commanderie in Edmonton,
Fouad Geara, Maître of the Commanderie in Montreal,
David King, Maître of the Commanderie in Halifax,
Philippe Desrosiers, Maître of the Commanderie in Ottawa,
Céline Saucier, Maître de la Commanderie in Quebec,
Francis Boutemy, Grand Maître of the GCVB.
Apologies for not being able to be present were received from:
Bryan Henry, Maître of the Commanderie in Vancouver.
After a productive and friendly discussion about each Commanderie's activities, several decisions about the future were taken:
• A meeting to be held once a year, either in Bordeaux or at each of the Commanderies, taken in turn
• Find the best way to get wine supply, as this is particularly difficult in certain provinces of Canada (due to the State Monopoly)
• Have a website for all the Canadian Commanderies, stemming from the Montreal website
• Work with the GCVB to encourage Bordeaux winegrowers to come to visit Commanderies in Canada
• David King was foreseen to coordinate this group and he accepted this role gladly. David is now known by everyone as Maître of Canada.
The day’s events were concluded pleasantly by an evening at the restaurant called Mr & Mme de Montréal, where the Maîtres were joined by their spouses and members of the Privy Council of the Commanderie de Bordeaux in Montreal. A delicious dinner was served and accompanied by four exceptional Bordeaux wines from the Commanderie’s cellar.